Friday, March 1, 2013

Musical progression?!! :)

When we were expecting Raya, all friends and acquaintances with kids invariably had one thing to say..."Life will never be the same again !!!:)"...Then there was the advice to "Take the time to splurge and pamper yourself"..."Spend time doing what you love doing most for you'll never have the time for yourself again"...etc. etc....you get the gist...

So keeping all those forewarnings of a 'kidful' life in mind, a couple of things I did to my hearts content, other than hogging on all kinds of food, was to to pick back up my erstwhile obsession with music and books and watch reruns of all my favorite TV shows and movies...

As far as music is concerned, I spent hours lounging and listening to all kinds of it...From R.D Burman to Jagjit Singh,from Indian classical to Western classical,from the Fateh Ali Khans to Atif Aslam, from Lata Mangeshkar to Sunidhi Chauhan,from the Beatles to Billy Joel, from Carpenters and ABBA to MLTR, from Eric Clapton and Tracy Chapman to the Eagles, from Guns and Roses to the Rolling Stones to Pearl Jam to Queen to ReadioHead to Coldplay, from James Taylor to Harry Chapin to Ashish Rajkhowa(lol...,that's my brother who chimed in every once in while , strumming my favorite numbers on his guitar)...the pregnancy was a true splurge and indulgence in music...

Then baby Raya was born and I went literally by what the baby books had to say :)...We filled her room with the magic of Mozart and my personal favorite...Mozart's symphony 40...music seemed to do it's magic...At two month's, baby Raya was babbling along and humming to one of her mommy's personal Bollywood favorites,"Jeevan ke din chhote sahin" composed by RD Burman and apparently "adapted" and based on Mozart's symphony 40....

Raya's next favorite...another Bollywood song..."Senorita..." from ZNMD... next favorite...Shakira's "Waka Waka...."....and not only did these ones bring bright smiles to her face...they also made her shake her leg and twist and turn in an attempt to bring on the moves...

Oh well I was one happy Mommy...if not anything else, kiddo was catching on to Mommy's taste in music...not only did she love the melodies and rhythm, but unlike her flat footed Mommy, she seemed all set to set the dance floor on fire with her moves...:)

Then Daddy D introduced baby Raya to what else but of course PSY's "Gangnam Style" and Chulbul Pandey's moves in "Pandey Jee"...and baby Raya seemed to catch on to those just as easily and happily....the head banging increased and so did the edge in her moves...the smiles became brighter....

Now I was not as happy a mommy anymore ...you see, baby Raya and mommy's tastes in music were diverging....the funny part is it did not take too long for me to get happy again for soon enough the "Gangnam Style"s and "Pandey jee seeti "s  of the music world  grew on me and found a place in my heart so much so that  before I realized it, I was tapping my feet to their  music and rhythm  along with my little baby and was ready to break into an awkward  jig myself :)...Looks like mommy and Raya were back on the same page as far as tastes in music were concerned....oh well, well...

Now whether this is musical "progression" or "regression"... the answer would depend on who you ask and when...but I guess, it's music nevertheles!!! :)

In all of this, however what remains constant and what  still brings on the brightest smile from Raya is her mommy's all time favorite bollywood number,"Jeevan ke din chhote sahin"....may be this will go on to become the"bichde huye family members ko milwane wala" song for the Das clan :) (all erstwhile/ current Bollywood fans would know what I mean)...now that would be something, wouldn't it !!!:)

On that musical note," Happy Friday" folks...


3 comments:

Raginee said...

I was almost laughing by time I started reading the earliest ones of the last 5 paragraphs...and until I had just two more to read, I clearly stopped visualizing your expressions PRIYANKA!!

And then until I finished, I was wondering if you the music buff hasnt heard any of the classical !! And semi classical folk of this part of the world...of course you havent...for if u did you would not miss all those names if not one or two...

Jeewan ke din chhote sahi...is one of my fav too....:)...bless Raya and wish her a melodious journey all throughout....

Priyanka Rajkhowa said...

@Rags: Thanks for dropping by...Yep it's true that I am not much of an Indian classical music buff:(...I love Ustad Hari Prasad Chaurasia and Ustad Zakir Hussain, though..... In fact ,not much of a western classical buff either other than Mozart:)

NetworkedBlogsViaFacebook said...

Dipanjan Das, Nitika Nayar Kashyap,
Dehu Rajkhowa, Preetam Rajkhowa, Vidya Sabesan and Banishikha De
like this

@ Nitika Nayar Kashyap:

Funny and interesting as always...kinda connected with it as I've seen Raya (and you) go through those progressions in music.

March 1 at 6:50pm via mobile ·
===================================

Dehu Rajkhowa Fun post:)

March 2 at 10:38pm via mobile
===================================
Ankita Deka:

Priyanka, there is a lot I could resonate with your feelings. Never a music buff myself, I experimented with all the genres when it came to Devarsh. Now Mozart and Bach are gathering dust while he is shaking a leg to Gangnam style, thanks to Bijan:)). Poor Reyansh, I am too exhausted to try anything. Nice read.....

March 3 at 11:53pm
===================================
Priyanka Rajkhowa:
I know what you mean...even the thought of going the whole nine yards for a second kid is exhausting ...BTW, how is the little darling doing....must be around 6 months now? Love and hugs to both of them...

March 4 at 9:41am
===================================

Ankita Deka:

Yes, he is six months, time is moving fast. The brothers adore each other, the only up side to constant exhaustion. Raya is getting cuter by the day, her eyes, cheeks absolute cuteness. My love to her...keep sharing the blogs, she will treasure it when she grows up.

March 4 at 11:13pm
===================================

Ashish Rajkhowa:

superb...well written chints

March 5 at 12:31am
===================================